Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Before September hits

THE SOLO ADVENTURE! 


 - I arrived in Brighton on a Sunday, and was immediately whisked by dear friends through Brighton Pride and walked through the Lanes, along the beach, and then fed blackberries and stuffed peppers for dinner. Already, I am in love. 

  - The Open Your Mouth intensive taught by Heather Urquhart and Joe Samuel was as incredible an experience as one could ever hope for. Dreamy new friends, so much laughter, so much seafood, full moon fish, much adventure, and 5 a.m. seagulls that just don't stop. It was grown up summer camp, and I had such fun. Singing together is a special thing, and singing improvised songs even more so. So incredibly lucky, and so incredibly sad to leave. (and, as the amazing Jules Munn reminds us, "Unclench your assssholllle".)


- I stopped in London to see friends I hadn't seen in years or a friend I've only seen in a tiny square on a screen. It was beautiful. The British Museum is incredible, and they should probably give all that stuff back. Very lucky to have seen so much! (also, London is awesome by rental bike, if I could only figure out a right turn. I truly have no idea how those work.)

 - EDINBURGH. Charity shops and gyoza, beautiful vintage and following crowds around theater spots. AMAZING. They stick performance everywhere! In shipping containers and under bridges, stuffed into every castle-like building one could find. (Except for the actual castle) If you have a Pimm's cup in the afternoon, you'll miss literally two shows. 

 - Chris Gethard's beautiful new solo show, front row, close enough to give me COVID. 

 - Baby Wants Candy was a goddamn dream.

 - Good Grief... a weirdly linear exploration of death and grief, as told by a bunch of hyper talented Xennial clowns. Lovely! Fine! and I really don't like Cowgate, for whatever reason. 

 - Unfortunate... the musical origin story of Ursula the sea witch. It was hilarious, hilariously done, and unexpectedly filthy! Dicks! (The pre-show music was WAP.) 

 - BriTANik is not British. They are American, and I love them. Fervently. So. Goddamn. Funny. 

 - The Tiger Lillies. I went, because if you have a chance to see them, you should. AND, the content (duh, Jen) was not for me. All expertly executed, perfectly on brand, possibly an approach I could try and emulate... Just needed a story with less rape and murder. 

 - Atsuko Okatsuka! So funny. Also, got to hang out with her and her husband Ryan for a bit, and that was so very nice.  

 - Show Stoppers! Improvised musical theater done in the style of three musicals. THERE WERE A BILLION PEOPLE AT THIS SHOW. It's a very very clever format, almost short-form-y (there's a 'director' to make sure everything moves along)... And funny. AND, oh man, do I prefer the manic freefall of Baby Wants Candy? I THINK I MIGHT.  

That was a lot of shows for less than three days. Lucky. 

I also walked up to Arthur's Seat, walked through the Old Town, cried over street musicians, adored my hotel room, stood amazed at the vintage offerings, and ate buttered chicken.  

Would I go back to either Brighton or Edinburgh in a heartbeat? Immediately and absolutely. 

London, I would go to give my laundry to the nice man and King's Laundrette and eat vegan Indian for 7 pounds around the corner from there. I would visit the British Museum again, and stay away from the center city. I would hop on the tube, and not worry about wherever I end up. Next time. 

So incredibly grateful for the opportunity. Certainly more to say later. We head back to Minneapolis on Thursday. WHAT ADVENTURE THEN???

No comments:

Post a Comment